· Holy Eucharist at 10 a.m.
· Adult Forum at 9:00 a.m.
· All Christians invited to Communion.
Join us for coffee after the service as we greet each other.
Though we gather from many
locations, we understand ourselves as God's people in one Lord Jesus Christ.Through the use of contemporary and traditional music, we blend
the beauty of our liturgical and sacramental traditions with a love
Christ Episcopal Congregation was organized in 1837 and a cornerstone for a church building was laid on May, 23 1838. The church overlooks Lake Erie across Lake Park. Over the years many structural and cosmetic changes have been made. A steeple was erected in 1876, followed by a bell in 1881. The bell still calls parishioners to worship on Sunday mornings.
A major renovation occurred in 1963. An addition containing classrooms, kitchen, fellowship hall, offices, choir room, and meeting space was constructed. The sanctuary was modernized and reoriented to be entered from this new addition, In 1975 a newer steeple was erected and a modern impressionistic stained glass window of the Living Christ was installed behind the altar. The church tastefully blends its historic character with a contemporary, uplifting feeling.
In 1977 a chapel and columbarium were added. In recent years the church was painted, the entrance was made handicap accessible, a library was added, pew cushions and kneelers were installed and the organ was renovated. As one of the oldest churches in the state, Christ Church is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Nineteen rectors have served Christ Church. Long pastorates have marked their tenure. The Rev. Eugene Smercina, who retired in October 2001, served for thirty-six years. In the early 80's, during his pastorate, the church life changed dramatically with the Cursillo Movement. The parish moved from a more traditional to a more evangelical worship, while maintaining an inclusiveness that promotes diverse worship styles.
The church has gone through many phases but remains a traditional Episcopal church. We have celebrated 175 years and many milestones have occurred including naming Rev. Smercina, Rector Emeritus.